HMT Pivot Master® Floating Roof Drain Systems
The patented HMT Pivot Master was designed to innovatively provide a better solution to floating roof drainage problems. It combines both the flexibility of composite and hose systems with the strength found in rigid pipe/swivel joint systems. The Pivot Master is basically a steel pipe drain system with flexible joints that withstand an extremely wide range of service conditions.
Pivot Master Drain Systems Offer Long Maintenance-Free Service
The HMT Pivot Master has been installed in thousands of storage tanks worldwide since its introduction in 1982. The system effectively provides positive roof drainage with maintenance-free and worry-free operation. This results in extended service life, with no hose kinking or clogging, and there is no stress loading on O-rings, bearings or seals. Instead of costly swivels, the Pivot Master employs unique flexible joints in a straight-line design, with no offsets to cause unbalanced loading.
The Pivot Master is easily installed in a fixed position, requiring a minimal operating area. With a designed continuous slope, the Pivot Master does not allow sediment to become trapped in the system. It is designed for submerged service with no lubrication required, and there are no corrosion freeze-ups. Pivot Master components are compatible with 100% aromatic products and can withstand high design pressures.
The HMT Pivot Master Drain System is available on an installed system basis or on a material only basis, with or without piping. In any event, complete engineering drawings and instructions for installation are provided.
Advantages of the Pivot Master Compared to Swivel Joint Systems:
- Straight-line design-no offsets to cause unbalanced loading
- No O-rings, bearings or seals
- No moving parts to lubricate
- Designed for submerged service
- No flow restrictions
- Load stresses transferred across joint, not through it
- Easy installation
Advantages of Pivot Master Compared to Hose Drain Systems:
- Continuous slope design-no sediment traps
- Small operating area-no tank layout required, minimizing downtime
- Fixed position-no damage due to interference
- 100% aromatic resistant components
- Higher design pressure
- No kinking or collapsing
- No dragging or scraping action across tank bottom
- No ballasting needed
Other Advantages of the Pivot Master Drain System:
- Ease of design and installation
- No measuring of roof legs and other internals required prior to design
- Immediate delivery of system components, reducing tank downtime
- Minimal field welding required for system installation
- No piping runs required on underside of floating roof
- Pivot Master flexible joints can be used for internal floating suctions
- Pivot Master Roof Drain Systems can be designed for dual-use fire fighting foam delivery systems
The HMT Pivot Master flexible joint is designed with inner and outer stainless steel wire helixes to maintain hose rigidity when subjected to internal or external pressures. Multiple inner layers of polar and non-polar elastomeric materials in the flexible joint prevent product permeation through the hose, even from such products as MTBE. The outer layers of this woven fabric protect the inner hose materials. Its high design pressure also makes the Pivot Master suitable for use with fire fighting foam delivery systems.
The flexible joint pivot-pin design uses stainless steel bushings and spacers to eliminate binding and assure flexibility. No lubrication is required. The reinforced side plates transfer the load around the flexible hose, eliminating stress on the hose end connections and minimizing the possibility of hose end failure. These side plates are available in prime coated or galvanized carbon steel, or, as an option, in stainless steel. The drain system is also available with a water freeze protection option. Using flexible joints on continuous slope designed to provide constant gravity drain with no-sediment traps. The straight-line design eliminates interference problems and hose kinks.
Pivot Master flexible joints are attached to Schedule 40 carbon steel piping to provide a rigid, maintenance-free drain system. Piping diameters of 3" through 10" are readily available from stock.